Making the Most Out of an Experience

The narratives we tell ourselves can affect the direction our life is heading. The way I frame my thoughts, affect the way I view things. From the past months, I have been struggling in my work as a teacher. I certainly lacked the classroom management skills, and I often felt overwhelmed by the sight of unruly students. I was really frustrated. But with the aid of time and experience, I have learned that the process was completely normal.  The process is essential.

Experience could  only be a best teacher once it's articulated. Not only does articulation guarantee that the experience will stick in our head, but also only in that way can experience be evaluated. Biased experience is like a talkative seatmate, it steals your opportunity to learn.

If you catch yourself in sleepless nights and relentless depressive thoughts, re-tell your experience in an objective manner. First aids are applied in our fresh wounds no matter how deep or light they are. The same is also true for our emotion. It might not wash out all your worries but its a good way to start. To do this, you must articulate the experience. What situation in your life are you facing? Where does the bulk of your time go? Have you been engaged in productive activities lately? What are the facts that led you to that conclusions?

Simple as they are, these questions can lift you out from the loneliness freeway. If we would remain ignorant about what's really going on inside us, nothing will happen. No, worse things could happen.

Comments

Popular Posts