"Mission" Failed

I started the week by sendig a message to my friends begging if they have thirty ideas (missions) that could certainly set me into rejections. After seeing the video of Jia Jiang and his Rejection Therapy, I would want to try it myself. I know I've received a lot of rejections in several aspects of my life: relationships, acads, work and others. However, they were not intentional.

The "remains" of the failed attempt 
To shake things a bit, I would chase after rejection. I wanted to know the difference. I wanted to see immediate changes and be on a "participatory observation" once more. Only, this time I would be alone, and would no longer require a rigorous research write-up.

Two days after my message, I gave up waiting for my friends' reply. I made my own lists instead. There were just two simple missions:
  1.  Ask for a third cup of  McCafe. With every cup, ask for three sachets each for creamer and sugar. Also, request for a service water. The catch is I will not show the receipt. 
  2. Hitchhike for a short ride at night. I must wait in a street where public transportation is available, yet I would ask a stranger if I could have a ride for free.
These might look simple, but knowing me, there's no way I could make it in an ordinary day. Thinking that it's just a "study" wouldn't help as well. 

So I "failed".

By that I meant I wasn't rejected. I wasn't able to get what I was looking for (failure, indeed). Here's what happened:

  1. Even if I allotted a three-hour interval for the the requests of coffee refill, the crew still didn't ask for my receipt. It makes me think whether she just remembered my face. She wasn't interested in giving me extra creamer and sugar (and a cup of service water) though. So, I just pushed the envelope by asking for them. She didn't made the request, but she asked the other crew to tend to my favors. 
  2. The second "mission" was also a "failure". I was just about to start waiting when suddenly a man in a motorcycle said "hop on". And I did. I shouldn't have done that had he worn a helmet. Since his face is widely exposed, and he's wearing a security personnel uniform, I just did it.
I am yet to absorb what has happened. Were my missions too easy for me? What part should I improve? What's the matter with the coincidences?

While I still don't have enough time to think about these things, I am quite grateful to have witnessed the upside of a "Filipino culture", however blurry we think it is. The goal might have failed, but the mission is a success. What do you think?










Comments

Popular Posts