Crises Come (and Go)



It was Friday when I knew that I wouldn't be home to just pack my bag and leave for my trip thereafter. I was about to leave for Taiwan on Sunday. Two days to go back then. The only problem was I am not yet finish with my presentation. Added to that, I was still about to turn in  our take-home exam for Sociology of Politics. Because of these, I really wasn't planning to go home early.

 I was postponing it until the last minute 'cos I wanted to get things done. And going home won't get things done? Yes, for going home means sharing stories with my brothers and uncle and debating about basketball. It can also mean turning on my speaker while singing at the top of my lungs. My family's too used to my noise. Since I was rarely present, I don't want my brothers catch me slipping to my computer to finish things up. And ignore them altogether because I am busy.


When I arrived home, I instantly asked where Mama was. "She's inside her room. Has been absent for two days already," uncle said.

"Why? Is she sick?"

"She's been having gallbladder attacks and couldn't walk properly. Although, she's better now. She can stand on her own and walk around comfortably."

I immediately went to her room and ask how she's doing. In our conversation, I've learned that she must be needing operation. The only thing that hinders her was money. It was costly, and she's afraid of anesthesia. I completely understood her, but insisted that if money was the only object, she better get over with it because we will find ways to get around with it.

While this happens, I was still thinking about the requirements that are also urgent. Failing to prepare for the presentation would be a waste of opportunity and resources. Not finishing the exam can endanger my credibility as an instructor. Who knows, it can also affect my career. So, back then, I needed to inform my colleagues and outsource my responsibilities. Nothing else mattered then to be honest. I was focused on taking care of  Mama while trying not to screw too bad at other things.

What a mess I was.

I must have failed to write this well because of lack of practice; what I just want to say is that when crisis arrives, you just want to fall on your knees and trust God, which I did.

What a mess I was. Yet today, as I reflect of the preponderance of that particular Friday among any other Fridays, I feel like I just need to count a week and I will completely be missing this memory. 

Even this moment, as I write this, I may forget this. I may forget that crisis had come and left.





















Comments

Popular Posts