Over the phone

“You won’t study now?”,  I asked her. “It’s already six, you should be reading your med  books.”

“Eh? Don’t you want to talk to me for a while?” She would laugh realizing how uncomfortable that 
question was for me. “You know you’re that guy who doesn’t like to bother people. You feel like you’re asking them a huge favor if you ask them for a conversation.”

“Am I?”, I asked.

“Yes, you are, sir. Can we please not play pretense?”, She sounded like she is really agitated.

“I was just asking.”

“Well, I was just answering”, she said.

“About your question, I want to talk but not right now, I guess. You still have a lot of stuff to do. I do have mine, too.”
I felt she wanted to say something else, but just said “You’re so funny. Okay, if you insist.” 

She laughed really hard and then hang up on the phone.

We won’t talk in the next few months. But we’ll still be friends, and by that time we won’t even remember that we had this awkward talk. Because friends are used to boring conversations like this.

Comments

Popular Posts