Strings

My friend, the professional violin player said that I should avoid practice without mindfulness. Not only does it waste my time, but also there's a chance that I'd live in the illusion that I am doing something better.

"The first reason is trifle," I'd say. "There are lots of people who waste their time in social media. I can waste my time reading and writing and be entertained."

"But if you can spend the same time and be better. why not try, right?" She pauses waiting for my reply. And when she didn't hear it from me, she said in an agitated tone. "No one messes with time", . 

"Look, look, I'm the teacher here. You don't need to scold me like a kid", I joked her. She's always like that,  always making the impression that she knows better. 

And maybe she really does, travelling in several countries because of  her skills, being accelerated to college just to attend the Music school. All of it, she said, is due to putting six hours a night of deliberate practice.

"Some days, it's more than six."

While there's me who hasn't done something significant in the eyes of society. I teach kids. I spend most of my time checking papers, and I've not achieved a tenth of my New Years Resolution this year.Who am I compared to her?

But last week she said she wants to quit Music. She said she no longer wants to continue. She said she wants to be a teacher like me. I didnt know what to say. How was I supposed to know? I thought she got it all figured out when she holds her violin and a great music pours out.

 "We're really friends." I just said.

"Let's just eat dinner."

Comments

Popular Posts